- 2 Tbsp vegetable or olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp heaped turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 bunch fresh spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh coriander (to taste, optional)
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Add the onions and fry for a few minutes, until the onions start to turn golden.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook for another minute, until garlic is fragrant and no longer raw.
- Reduce heat to low then add the spices – cumin powder, turmeric, coriander powder and garam masala. Stir well to mix all the spices together and let it cook for just a few seconds. Be careful here as the spice powders can burn quickly. Add a bit of water if needed, to stop the spices from sticking to the pan and burning.
- Add the tomato paste, mix well to combine with the spices and cook for a few seconds.
- Add the spinach, increase heat to medium again and cook until the spinach is cooked to your liking. Season to taste with salt and pepper (I used just over 1/4 tsp salt). Finally, add the coriander, give it a stir, and you’re done!
Recipe adapted from Erren’s Kitchen. I reduced the spices called for in the original recipe because we discovered that Max’s tummy doesn’t do well with all the spices – especially chilli (which is in most masalas!).