We don’t eat many salads around here. Mainly because of two reasons: 1. I’m not a fan of raw food, and 2. I’m often looking for quick dinners after work and making a salad adds to another thing to worry about and increases the time it takes to get dinner on the table!
BUT, I’ve made this particular salad multiple times already in the past month. I really like it very much. Why? Because it is not raw and I can make it on a day where we are having leftovers – this salad is quite filling so it makes the leftovers into a whole meal! Win!
I’ve adopted this from She Likes Food. The original recipe had raw kale, which I have opted to cook a little bit. Check out my modified recipe below and I hope you enjoy this, especially on a day when you don’t feel like making a whole meal.
Difficulty level: Absolute Beginner
Time: 30 – 40 minutes, including prep work (I had the kale pre-washed, which would otherwise have added more time to this)
Serves: 2 – 3 people as a side dish
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into cubes, approximately 2 cups
- 4 cups tightly packed chopped kale (I just tore into bite sized pieces with my hands)
- 1/2 can of chickpeas (half of a 425g can)
- 1/2 large avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/8 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil (for the kale)
- 2 tsp olive oil (for the sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3/4 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/8 heaped tsp salt
- 1/4 cup water (I like my dressing not too thick but if you want it thicker just add less water)
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C.
- In a large bowl, mix together the chopped sweet potato with 1 tsp of olive oil, 1/4 tsp of salt and some cracked pepper. Transfer it to a baking tray lined with baking paper and put it into the oven. Cook for 25 – 30 minutes. No need to turn it.
- In a large frying pan, add 1/2 Tbsp of olive oil and when it is warm, add the kale and a splash of water. Add 1/8 tsp salt and cook until it begins to get bright green and starts wilting. Take off the heat and 1/2 Tbsp add lemon juice. Transfer it into a salad bowl.
- Add other ingredients into the salad bowl: 1/8 of a red onion, chopped, 1/2 can of chickpeas, drained, 1/2 large avocado, chopped, 1/4 cup dried cranberries and 1/4 cup chopped almonds.
- Once the sweet potatoes are made, add it to the salad bowl.
- Make the dressing by mixing together everything listed under “Tahini Dressing”.