Chickpea, Sweet Potato and Rocket Salad
A few days ago, both Max and I discovered that we our clothes are feeling a bit snug! 😳 We blame it entirely on this coronavirus pandemic and the lockdown we have been in for what seems like a lifetime here in Melbourne. This 'discovery' prompted us (Max in particular) to think about cleaning up our diet a bit. We decided that we will cut out oil and processed foods from our diet (although some things like soy milk and nut butters are staying in out of necessity and the fact that neither of us has the time to make those things from scratch). I must admit, I cannot imagine eating food without oil. I mean, I don't like foods with too much oil (we never deep fry anything) but I do like some oil in my food. So, the challenge, then, is how to cook food that tastes good but doesn't require oil? And how in the world can I fry stuff without oil?? That is a tough one for me.
This morning was our first whole food plant based oil free meal. I was unsure what to make so I looked in our fridge and went based on what was there. I ended up making this delicious salad that is just the right combination of sweet, acidity and a bit of bitterness from the tahini. It is filling and oh so nutritious!
Serves: 2 very hungry adults
- 1 cup rocket leaves
- 1/2 capsicum, cut into pieces
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 1 can of chickpeas (400 g can, which is 240g drained)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground paprika powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- Creamy Tahini Maple Dressing
- Cut the sweet potatoes into cubes. In a large bowl, mix the sweet potato pieces, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper and some freshly ground pepper. Add a tiny bit (1 or 2 tsp) of water so that the spices stick to the sweet potatoes. Put the sweet potatoes on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for 10 minutes. Then turn and bake for another 10 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, put together the other salad ingredients: wash 1 cup of rocket leaves and put it into a big bowl. Add 1/2 a capsicum, cut however you like.
- Start cooking the chickpeas: drain and rinse the can of chickpeas and add them to a pan over medium heat. Add 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 paprika powder and 1/4 tsp garlic powder. "Fry" the chickpeas, adding a tiny bit of water at a time if they start to stick too much to the pan. Once done to your liking, remove them from heat.
- As soon as the sweet potatoes are done, add 1 clove of minced garlic and 1/4 tsp of dried rosemary to them and mix well (I did this in a separate bowl).
- Once the sweet potatoes and chickpeas have cooled down a bit, add them to the bowl that had the rocket and capsicum.
- Make the Creamy Tahini Maple Dressing.
- Take the salad out in bowls and add the amount of sauce you want to it. Enjoy :)