Vegan Meatball Soup
In our family, there are a good many soup lovers and initially we were quite uncertain if we could make vegan soups which taste as good as those made with meat. Thankfully, we discovered a great way to make healthy, delicious vegetable stock which we found to be a great starting point for making soups. This simple soup is based on this stock and also features soy chunks as great meatball replacements. Enjoy!
|Name||Vegan Meatball Soup|
|Dr. Greger Points||5|
|Cooking time||70 mins (first time)/70 min (repeats)|
- 4 carrots, chopped into small pieces
- 4 celery stalks, chopped into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 3 red chillies
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powser
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of soy chunks
- 6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 small red potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 6 cups of vegetable stock
- 2-3 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning blend
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of dried thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 heads of Broccoli, cut into pieces
- 2 1/2 cups of whole-grain Penne
- 1 bunch of parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of Maggi seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot on low-medium heat
- Add onion and fry until done
- Add garlic and chilli and fry until garlic is done
- Add Cayenne Pepper
- Add bay leaves
- Increase to medium heat and add carrots and fry for 2 min
- Add celery and fry for 2 min
- Add potatoes and fry for 2 min
- Add vegetable stock and bring to the boil
- Add Italian seasoning blend, onion powder, garlic powder and thyme
- Cover the pot and let it simmer on low-medium heat for 20 minutes
- While the soup is cooking, start preparing the soy chunks. For this, take a medium sized pot and bring water to the boil. Add the soy chunks once the water is boiling and boil them for around 5 minutes. Take out the soy chunks and wash them with cold water. Once the chunks are cooled down, take each one and squeeze out the water.
- After the soup has been cooking for 20 minutes, add the soy chunks and a cup or two of water. Increase to medium heat and wait until the soup boils again.
- Once the soup boils again, add the Penne. Let it cook for around 2 min.
- Then add the broccoli and cook for another 8 min.
- Lastly, add the parsley, pepper, salt and Maggi to taste and the soup is ready!!