I used to love scrambled eggs. I had perfected the art of making it.
I wanted to find a replacement that fit into our new, vegan, lifestyle.
Tofu to the rescue!
Tofu is amazing. There are so many different ways in which it can be prepared and each way transforms the taste of it.
This scrambled tofu is simple to make and it tastes divine. You can eat it with toast and avocado or try it with our Red Kidney Beans.
The original recipe is from Minimalist Baker but I adapted it to our own tastes and preferences, as always 🙂
|Name||Easy Tofu Scramble|
|Dr. Greger Points||3|
|Cooking time||40 min (first time) / 20 min (repeats)|
- 1 block of extra firm tofu (350g), crumbled (you can just crumble it with your fingers!)
- 1/4 large onion (or 1/2 small onion), chopped
- 1/4 tomato, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (or any other oil of your choice)
- 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Additions: cooked broccoli or a handful of raw baby spinach
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds and let it sputter for just a few seconds.
- Add the onions and cook it until the onions are soft.
- Add 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder and continue to fry the onions until the onions are cooked to your liking (for as little as a few seconds to a few minutes). I like my onions well-cooked.
- Add the 1/2 tomato, chopped, to the pan. Continue cooking until the tomatoes are very soft and start breaking apart.
- Add the tofu and stir to combine well.
- In a small bowl, mix together the remaining 1/2 tsp of turmeric, 1/4 tsp smoked paprika and 1/2 tsp of garlic powder with a little bit of water so that you have a pourable sauce. Pour it over the tofu and mix well. Cook for a minute or so more.
- Add salt, pepper, and the cooked broccoli or raw baby spinach, and also the nutritional yeast. Mix well to combine and it’s ready to eat.