Penne with Cauliflower and Tomato Sauce
Although it is her holiday at the moment, my dear wife was working very dedicatedly today and so I got some free reign in the kitchen to prepare some lunch. Generally my attempts at cooking lead to very mixed results but today fortune was with me and the resulting dish turned out really well (or was this because my sister-in-law and father were assisting with me?).
I made fried cauliflower with tomato sauce which was partly based on Barilla Olive Tomato Sauce and Mutti Passata. Find the instructions for preparation in the following:
|Name||Penne with Cauliflower and Tomato Sauce|
|Dr. Greger Points||5|
|Cooking time||40 min (first time) / 30 min (repeats)|
- 1/2 of 700 g bottle of Mutti Passata
- 1 bottle of Barilla Olive Tomato Sauce
- 1 head of cauliflower cut into baby fist-sized pieces
- 1 packet of Barilla Whole Grain Penne
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of Italian Mixed Herbs (the one we use is composed of Garlic, Dried Tomato, Basil, Onion, Black Pepper, Oregano, Parsley, Marjoram, Red Bell Pepper and Canola Oil)
- 1 teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 green chillies
- 1/4 of a red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Heat the canola oil in a wok on high heat
- Add the cauliflower and fry until brown. Ideally you would like to get some dark brown spots on some of the cauliflower for flavour but don't let it burn.
- Until the cauliflower is ready will take quite some time (maybe 30 min or so), so in the meantime you can start cooking the pasta and preparing the sauce.
- Heat 1/8 cup of olive oil in a small saucepan on low to medium heat
- Add red onion and fry until ready
- Add turmeric, chilli, Cayenne Pepper and garlic and fry until garlic is ready
- The remaining 1/8 cup of olive oil, reduce heat to low and add the Italian Herb Mix. Mix and leave it simmer for about a minute.
- Add the Barialla Olive Tomato Sauce and mix it through
- When the cauliflower is ready, pour the sauce from the small saucepan into the wok. Then, add the Mutti sauce until your desired level of sauciness is reached.
- Add pepper to taste. The Barilla Olive Tomato sauce is already very salty so you probably don't need to add any extra salt but if you feel like it, please go ahead!
Now its ready! First take out the pasta on plates and then pour sauce over to taste.