Fresh basil, tomatoes and chickpeas pasta
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can of chickpeas (425g), drained and rinsed
- 4 to 5 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 5 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water (preferably the water from cooking pasta)
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- fresh basil - lots of it! I used 1/2 of a large bunch.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium to low heat.
- Add in the garlic and fry until the garlic start to get crispy (but before it starts turning brown at the edges).
- Add the chickpeas and 2 Tbsp of water. Continue frying for about 3 to 5 minutes, until the water has evaporated and the chickpeas are frying (not steaming/boiling). Careful that it doesn't start burning/sticking at the bottom.
- Add the mushrooms (and a splash of water if needed). Stir to mix in the mushrooms with the rest of the ingredients. Once the mushrooms start to wilt, add in the tomatoes, 1 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of oregano together with freshly cracked pepper.
- Cover and cook until the tomatoes are very soft and have broken down completely. Check it from time to time and add more water as needed. I added 1/4 cup of water.
- Before serving, add in the torn fresh basil and mix it into the sauce.
- Enjoy with pasta!