One of my fondest memories from our visit to Honk Kong is discovering Teh Tarik for the first time. We just arrived after a long flight (as all flights going out from New Zealand are) and I happened to be a little bit tired and most likely caffeine deprived as well. The rich, strong tea was just what I needed and I subsequently tried drinking as much of it as possible during our visit.
Since then we became vegan and try to avoid caffeine as much as possible. Not good news for Teh Tarik. Thus I was much delighted when I discovered a beverage by accident which immediately reminded me of the rich flavour of Teh Tarik. I don’t know if it would have had the same affect on me as the original that morning after the flight but it sure pleased me now. So without further ado, here the recipe for two mugs.
- 1 level teaspoon of fine ground roasted chicory and dandelion root tea (we use Bonvit Roasted Dandelion Blend)
- 2 cardamon
- 2 teaspoons of raw honey
- 1/2 mug soy milk
- 1 1/2 mugs of water
- 1 very small piece of cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon of ginger powder
- Put all ingredients into a small saucepan and heat under low flame
- When the tea becomes steaming hot (but not boiling), drain into two cups
Done, enjoy your tea!